Collecting Information to Communicate Information
The Greater Cambridge Partnership runs projects across the whole of the Greater Cambridge area, and while we know that there are groups who have a keen interest in the big picture, there are equally a number of residents who particularly want to know about the projects that are local to them.
To help us communicate with all interested parties, and to ensure that we can send people the information that they are most interested in, we collate and maintain mailing lists.
These lists cover individual projects, but also wider topics and work strands, with some lists being restricted to specific groups or interested parties (e.g. Councillors, LLF members etc.)
ICO Head of Enforcement
'These rules are there for a reason - to protect people from the irritation and, on occasions, distress nuisance emails cause.'
GCP takes its Data Protection obligations seriously. Data Protection legislation protects the information rights of every individual, and we appreciate the trust that you show when you allow us to collect your information.
We promise to honour that trust by:
- Ensuring we only send you the information that you have asked for or agreed to be sent
- Agreeing to update any information we hold about you when you ask us to
- Agreeing to stop sending you information when you ask us, whether this is a request to stop sending you any information at all or to stop sending you specific project/topic information
These commitments are yours by right, enshrined in the General Data Protection Regulations.
In addition, we are both committed and legally obliged to protect the information we hold about you by:
- Preventing unauthorised access to it
- Preventing unauthorised use of it
- Preventing it from being shared unless you have agreed to it
Fair Processing Notice
Our mailing lists are stored securely, in our mailing system and on the Cambridgeshire County Council network, and managed in accordance with UK Data Protection legislation. We will only use them for sending you information that you have requested or agreed to receive.
We will not sell your information or share it with any organisation unless you have agreed to that.
We will not transfer your information outside of the EU unless you agree to it, however, some services we offer may require that information be transferred in this way. Your use of the services is, therefore, dependant on your agreement for this transfer of data.
Our email subscription system, provided by Granicus, uses servers hosted in the USA, however, the system offers protection for your rights through data protection clauses in our contract with them and the system has been approved for use by a number of central government offices, including HMRC.
You can, at any time, ask to see what information about you we are holding, ask us to correct or update information about you that we are holding, and/or ask us to stop using your information and stop sending you information updates and newsletter emails.
If you are unhappy with the way have been using your information, you can complain to the Cambridgeshire County Council Data Protection team.
If you are unhappy with the council response to your complaint, you can refer the matter to the Information Commissioner's Office, the independent watchdog on information and data protection in the UK.
Emails and Performance Tracking
It is important for us to monitor how our email bulletin system is working, and for us to track the performance of our bulletins.
We do that in three specific ways:
- Delivery reports - Your email server sends a response when it receives emails for your email address. These can be simple "Delivered" responses, or they can tell us if there's been a problem in delivering the email; incorrect email address, mailbox too full to receive the email, or similar
The system also uses these delivery reports to makes sure we are not sending emails out to email addresses that no longer exist
- Email "opened" reports - When you receive an email from us, it contains text and images. The bulletin system server receives a request for the images when you open the email. This confirms to the bulletin system that you have been able to open the email and view the contents
- Link click reports - When you click a link in an email we have sent you, the bulletin system server receives the request to fetch the webpage or document that the link connects to
We do not sell or share the information collected in any of these reports.