Growing and Sharing Prosperity
FLEXIBLE CHARGE -Charging motor vehicles to drive into and around Cambridge at the busiest times.
- Estimated Congestion Reduction
15% various charging options available to meet required congestion reduction.
- Potential Revenue Raised Per Year
£40 million+ depending on scheme definition.
- Could deliver the required reduction in traffic
- Potential to provide further funding for cheaper fares, and walking and cycling enhancements
- Provides long-term funding for public transport
- Flexibility would enable scheme to tackle busiest times and to evolve over time.
- Could work alongside a pollution charge
- Risk that cars avoid the area, leading to greater congestion elsewhere
- The scheme could be perceived as unfairly penalising those who live outside Cambridge, but evidence shows that 50% of Journeys are within the city