POLLUTION CHARGE -Charging polluting vehicles to drive into and around Cambridge.
- Estimated Congestion Reduction
Up to 15% initially but could decrease as vehicles become cleaner.
- Potential Revenue Raised Per Year
£25 million depending on scheme definition, but could decrease as vehicles become cleaner.
- Cleaner air and fewer deaths and illnesses related to air pollution
- Encourages drivers to move to less polluting vehicles
- lncentivises businesses to upgrade their fleets
- Effective (in the short term) in encouraging use of public transport, walking and cycling
- As vehicles become cleaner, fewer will be affected by the charge and congestion may rise again, and revenues for public transport would fall
- Risk that drivers avoid the area, leading to greater congestion and pollution elsewhere