UPDATE - WINTER 2019/2020
The widening of the Wadloes path between Ditton Meadows and High Street, Fen Ditton has now been completed. Works to place additional signage, and extra bollards will take place in the near future. For more information on the Wadloes path works, please see the Cycling Quick Wins page.
The cycleway works on Ditton Lane and Horningsea Road are now largely finished. However, a short section of shared use path on Ditton Lane still needs to be built. A new solution to reinforce the embankment is currently being designed for the area next to the paddock, south of High Ditch Road – the footway on this section will be widened to 2.3m.
The compound in Fison Road has now been demobilised. The stone hardcore has been removed and seeded top soil put in. Small earth bunds have been constructed behind the knee rail fencing, and a new gate installed to deter illegal entry onto the green space. In December 2019 spring flowering bulbs (Bee Surprise, and Narcisi Tete-a-Tete) will be planted towards the back of the Fison Rd open space, and 7 Silver Limes (Tilia Tomentosa 'Brabant') will be planted in the New Year.
The wet ground conditions mean the remainder of the re-instatement works will be carried out in Spring 2020. These include:
- A large perennial wildflower area in the western half of the open space, annual seed will be added to the wildflower mix to provide colour in the first season. A maintenance cut will take place in Summer 2020 to ensure the perennial species thrive
- New bunds will also be seeded with the wildflower mix.
- The remaining area of the open space will be seeded with a general hardy amenity grass mix
This project aims to improve cycling and walking on Ditton Lane and Horningsea Road. A shared-use foot and cycleway will be created between Fison Road and High Ditch Road on the east side of Ditton Lane. Works will also widen the current shared-use foot and cycleway on both sides of High Ditch Road and just north of Fen Ditton Primary School.
This new cycleway links with National Cycle Network 11 and 51 (NCN 11 & NCN 51), which crosses Ditton Lane near Fison Road and then runs parallel to the River Cam and connects the City Centre with East Cambridge.
This route is extensively used by cyclists heading to Newmarket Park & Ride and Marshalls. In the future, the new foot and cycleway is also likely to be used by those travelling to the Wing housing development by Newmarket Road.
Construction works for the scheme will begin in on Tuesday 28 August 2018. The programme of works is due to run until Spring 2019.
Improving walking and cycling links between Abbey and Fen Ditton to Marshalls, Newmarket Park & Ride and the future Wing development
A cycleway on Ditton Lane and Horningsea Road between Fison Road and Fen Ditton Primary School will encourage sustainable journeys to the school. This new route will also connect to the existing cycleway from Horningsea.
Works will include reinforcing the bank and will require the removal of the trees, which are in poor condition on top of the bank, in the area south of the High Street junction. The verge will be enhanced with bulb planting in a joint Parish and Greater Cambridge Partnership enterprise.
Works will also include renewing and replacing the fencing along the kerbline next to the new shared use foot and cycleway.
The works started on 3 September 2018 and following initial investigations and trial holes, works began at the northern end of the scheme near Fen Ditton Primary School.
The construction of the new shared-use foot/cycleways will involve moving utility services, diverting cables, repairs to the drainage network, and installing new, realigned kerbs.
- a new toucan crossing north of the school; an upgrade of the puffin crossing near the High Street to a toucan crossing (a toucan crossing is for pedestrians and cyclists, whereas a puffin crossing is for pedestrians)
- widening the footpath on the east side of Ditton Lane, between Fison Road and High Ditch Road, from 1.5m to 2.3m or 2.5m to create a new shared-use foot/cycleway
- pedestrian and cycling improvements to the area around the Fison Road junction and Ditton Lane crossing
- widening of the shared-use foot/cycleway between Ditton Lane crossing and Ditton Meadows
- widening of the footway on the west side of the green area on Ditton Lane (south of the small car parking area next to 142 Ditton Lane) to create a shared-use foot/cycleway.
We apologise for any inconvenience these works cause. If you have an questions about the works please contact 01223 699906 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please talk to the contractors on site or ring the phone number on the works road signs.
This cycleway project is currently allocated a budget of around £1m.
The budget will be reviewed as detailed measures are determined.