The Comberton Greenway will be a new or improved walking, cycling and, where appropriate, horse-riding route between Comberton, Hardwick, Coton, Cambridge University West Campus and Cambridge.
It is one of twelve Greater Cambridge Greenways that will make journeys easier, cheaper, healthier, greener and pleasant into and out of Cambridge and to enjoy the countryside for leisure purposes. They will also help to make local journeys, such as school and nursery runs safer and easier.
The map is indicative and not to scale. You can download a high-res pdf of this map and a cycling times guide from the Related Document section below. As the project progresses, we will update each section.
- Green active travel into and out of Cambridge for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
- Easy and safe travel to workplaces, local schools and colleges, shops and transport hubs.
- Improved links to Barton, Hardwick, Coton, West Cambridge, the Sidgwick Site and Newnham.
- Links to the Barton and Haslingfield Greenway routes.
Preliminary design is underway in discussion with interested parties following the approval by the GCP Executive Board on 25 June 2020 (see the Agenda Pack pages 216-230 for the Greenway Report). Following the Board's approval, we have started the process of detailed design.
Public engagement on designs will run from the 4th July to 29th July. Find out more below.
From next week, we would like to hear your views on the Comberton Greenway.
You will be able to learn more and provide your views via the following options:
- An online survey will run from Monday 4 July until Friday 29 July 2022. Please come back to this page on 4th July for the survey link
- On Friday 8th July we will host a drop-in at Comberton Village Hall:
- Venue: Comberton Village Hall
- Time: 14:00pm – 19:00pm
- Address: Comberton Village Hall, Green End, Comberton, Cambridge, CB23
- An online event will take place on Wednesday 20th July via Zoom.
- Time: 18:00pm- 20:00pm
- Please click here to register to attend the Zoom webinar
Comberton Greenway will be 6 miles with 2.5 miles of other links.
The draft route starts in Comberton and will include a further improvement to the existing link towards Barton. The main route heads north alongside Long Road and is joined by a link from Hardwick. The Greenway then continues towards Coton. There are additional wide grassy verges for horse riders, joggers and ramblers. We will use bee-friendly plants to make the route attractive and support a wide range of wildlife. The area around the M11 bridge will have a wider pathway and a new surface. The Greenway then carries on past the Cambridge University West Campus. A new link branches off towards Barton Road before the path continues along Adams Road, Grange Road and Sidgwick Avenue before reaching Silver Street. It then joins other cycle roads into and around Cambridge.