The Histon Road project aims to provide better bus, walking and cycling facilities for those travelling on this busy key route into Cambridge.
Work is underway on Histon Road at the junction with Victoria Road and Huntingdon Road, as well as with site clearance, where required, along the rest of Histon Road. This work requires temporary traffic signals between the hours of 9.30am to 3.30pm.
Please see the project’s construction page for more information.
You can also subscribe to receive project updates.
BENEFITS OF THE PROJECT
As a key route into and out of Cambridge, The Greater Cambridge Partnership is looking at a range of measures to improve journeys along Histon Road, these measures will:
- Improve the speed and reliability of public transport journeys
- Help to reduce levels of peak-time congestion
- Provide a safer and more convenient environment for cycling and walking journeys
- Enhance the environment, streetscene and air quality
- Provide additional capacity for sustainable trips to employment and education sites
- Help increase the levels of people using sustainable modes of transport
The Histon Road project consists of:
- Bus lanes, bus priority and bus stops: The project will improve bus priority on Histon Road by providing an inbound bus lane from Blackhall Road to Carisbrooke Road. This will help reduce bus journey times during the morning rush hour and improve reliability. The scheme will also provide new bus stop bypasses for cyclists and slight optimisation of bus stop locations.
- Cycling and Walking: The scheme will provide high quality cycling and pedestrian infrastructure including improved cycle lanes along the length of Histon Road and an innovative “protected junction” design at the Gilbert Road/Warwick Road junction. In addition, two new pedestrian crossings will be installed – one near to Carisbrooke Road and the other near Victoria Road. Another crossing will be relocated to help link Akeman Street and the main shopping area on Histon Road.
- Removal of On-Street Parking: Delivering highway improvements in the narrow southern section of Histon Road requires the removal of current on-street parking. The pay and display parking bays will be moved to Linden Close.
- Landscape and Environment: The scheme includes new landscapedesigns for the Akeman Street junction, Gilbert Road-Warwick Road junction and the junctions with Brownlow Road and Blackhall Road. Landscaping mitigation measures have also been agreed with residents to provide a new 3m high ‘living’ fence and associated tree planting between Brownlow Road and Blackhall Road, replacing the existing hedgerow that screens a number of gardens on the outbound side of the road.
More information on the background of the project can be found on the background pages.
Proposed changed to Histon Road (please see the consultation leaflet for larger version of map and description for each item)
LOCAL LIAISON FORUMS
Local Liaison Forums provide for regular dialogue between the project team and members of the local community during the course of any major transport project, ensuring interested parties are kept informed and can continue to have their say outside of formal consultation processes.
LLFs are chaired by local councillors and are open to the public.
More information and papers can be found on the Histon Road LLF page.