The West of Cambridge package would provide an improved Park & Ride, cycling and pedestrian facilities from the west of the city. These facilities would provide better access to employment sites such as the Cambridge Biomedical Campus and the West Cambridge site as well as the North West Cambridge site.
The West of Cambridge package, along with a new public transport link from Cambourne to Cambridge, could also ensure better journeys by public transport between Cambourne and Addenbrooke’s, which could take under half an hour on a traffic-free route.
As a part of this package, a new Park & Ride site could be built at Junction 11 of the M11. For more information on this part of the scheme please see its own project page.
A quick and reliable alternative to travel through the City Centre
BENEFITS OF THE PROJECT
The benefits of this scheme include:
- a faster, more frequent reliable alternative to travelling through Cambridge city centre
- supports the delivery of new homes across South Cambridgeshire
- supports access to key employment locations and job creation
- improves local public transport infrastructure
This project was originally titled as the 'Western Orbital' scheme. The project was then widened to include further transport improvement options.
On 21 November 2017 the Greater Cambridge Partnership agreed the West of Cambridge Package would, therefore, comprise of the following:
- A potential new Park & Ride at junction 11 of the M11
- Improvements to Girton Interchange
- Engagement with Highways England on an M11 smart motorway upgrade
This package would also work with emerging plans for the CAM metro, Cambridge South Train Station, and Foxton travel hub.
West of Cambridge Package Gallery
This project would be considered for funding from any second tranche of monies received from Central Government.